Sunday 30 December 2012

Here And There And Almost Everywhere


I am happy to be alive, vagaries of the world when possible, responsible(-ish) when needed (as seldom as it can be done), goofy when shy, wrinkled when thoughtful.
I am filling my time with writing, sewing crotches of pants, because I can’t seem to be able to keep any pair of pants un-ripped for long, crocheting my hair, and other minor household activities.
I am smoking. Again. Just as much as ever and enjoying every cigarette of it!
I am a high school philosophy teacher engaged to be married upon my return home for the people who ask the usual, all too foreseeable ‘whereyoufroms’, ‘whatyoudos’ and ‘areyoumarrieds’ around South East Asia. And this usually attracts surprised or doubtful looks (‘You? Teacher?’) and frowns filled with reproach (‘Not married yet?’). Also, I’ve tried being Norwegian but that didn’t turn out so good (as in I’ve been spotted as a fake… the East Eastern-accented English might have given me away).
I am practicing my headstand almost daily.
I am complaining whenever I get the chance, not because I actually have so many reasons to complain, but because I think it’s one of the few womanly traits I can really master.
I am growing old(er) but I’m constantly fighting the tendency to grow up.
I am hiding. Because it’s much easier and I once decreed that through hiding people will not be able to harm me. Consequently, at some point, I started to hide from myself.
I am speaking Hinglish because this way, I get compliments from Indians for my very extensive knowledge and exquisite mastery of the English language. I use lots of ‘r’s.
I’m asking stupid questions because life is full of stupid problems.
I am usually walking with my hands in my pockets, thus giving me more to sew in the evenings, as most fabrics don’t last very long under the continuous pressure they’re exposed to.
I am drinking coffee in the evening.
I am becoming prouder by the minute of my rock solid stomach which doesn’t seem to fail me and meekly accepts whatever I feed it, whether it’s the finest foods or the most spine-chilling chows.
I am enormously happy to have been able to go skiing in Romania the first chance I got, having gone from 30 plus to below zero in a day.
I am trying.

1 comment: