Monday 30 June 2014

Story of My Life

Bhaktapur is one of the most inspiring places Nepal has to offer, especially if you’re into an artistic mood. The city’s many squares offer a variety of crafts, craftsmen, and workshops, from woodcarvers to jewellers, potters, and thanka painters. So, of course, staying a week here gives anyone a chance to work on their creativity.

Which is what happened to me: after Bhaktapur enriched my resourcefulness in just one day here, I came back only to find that I have too many options to choose from to enhance my artistic skills and too little time. So I finally settled on something I did before at home: pottery. Something that basically involved getting mud all over myself while sweating over a potter’s kick-wheel and trying to throw something resembling a vessel at the same time. Usually, the result was no more than me finding it extremely difficult to remove all the hardened clay off various parts of my body, and a small roundish object that would have to be called – for lack of a better word – a small pot. At the time, my teacher always joked around trying to make me feel better, saying I’m really getting good at making various kinds of ashtrays: nothing much ever got higher than a respectable cigarette-discarding receptacle.

But now, in Bhaktapur, I would have the chance to have a go at pottery again and prove myself worthy of the term amateur potter. So, I went to – unquestionably – Potters’ Square


where a true-blue potter said he would teach me the secret of this ancient art. I would only have to watch closely and practice, practice, practice.


For starters, he said, I should try something easy and, once I got the hang of it, have a go at other, more complicated designs. And guess what he chose as the starting point! That’s right: ashtrays!

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Similarly, when life gives you clay, make ashtrays.



No comments:

Post a Comment