Wednesday 2 September 2015

Casual Khasi Conversation

Best ‘Whele flom’ talk I ever had:

Walking on the street back to the guesthouse, I failed to notice the two young Khasi lads walking in the opposite direction on the other side of the road. I only did notice one when he started crossing the street diagonally so as to meet me sort of halfway.

‘Hi!!!!’ he said, loud and clear, just in case I didn’t properly understand English and needed an official sign that it’s, in fact, English that is being spoken.

‘Hey,’ I said, looking up at him, unhindered by his yell.

‘Where???’ he said, showing no intention to stop.

‘Home,’ I answered with a presence of mind rarely seen, going by serenely.

‘OK,’ he said as he was already well past me, seemingly satisfied with my answer.


Could it be any easier?

3 comments:

  1. :) basic english. Like a beginner's first lesson. I hope it was A+ :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) basic english. Like a beginner's first lesson. I hope it was A+ :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ovi: it's a life lesson, so there can be nothing but A+ :)

      Delete