Wednesday 28 November 2012

Lala Laos


A friend of mine was very honest when he bluntly stated that he was a box-ticker, someone who just ticks the boxes of a ‘things to do’ list: tallest building, biggest Buddha, most laid-back country… you name it. So right now I’m also ticking a big box named Laos; a country where most places are simply described as ’sleepy’ and ‘relaxed’ and, as a French saying goes, while the Vietnamese plant the rice, the Cambodians watch it grow and the Lao listen to it grow. This translates into pure procrastination, refusing to engage in anything other than doing nothing and just being sleepy and relaxed. Yup, that’s the whole country! I haven’t seen that much of it yet but, being in one of the country’s most touristic place, I tend to believe everything I’ve heard. Also, I didn’t read much about Laos but, apart from some hidden, well-kept secrets, and treasures, there doesn't seem to be much to actively engage in.
But I like it. And the landscapes are more than words can say.
In a nutshell, I planned everything the wrong way, getting into Vientiane and immediately heading north, to Luang Prabang and now there’s the option of heading north or heading north. So, I’ll probably head north, although how far is anybody’s guess.
This is just a taste of Laos for now.




2 comments:

  1. Laos seems very beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lizzard: Laos is beautiful, albeit it does tend to be chaos at times.

    ReplyDelete