Saturday 15 September 2012

Leaves


So I went to see an elephant training camp in Kodanad, where they teach elephants to work in the forest, but the weather was pretty bad and the elephants weren’t very happy. I did have time to look at the plants in their explanatory garden, and take a few pictures of the little saplings, at least this way maybe I learn some of them. They all had multi-language boards next to them with hilariously written explanations (at least the ones in English).
Here’s what I saw: 


And it says on the board (no typos, really):
Thiruvathira tree: Cashmere Tree
In Ayurveda scholars include me in Vathagna group and I am a deciduous tree seen in Deciduous forest. My family is Verbinaceae and my scientific name is Gmelina arborea. ‘Dasamoola’ the famous Ayurvedic formulation and I am also a member. My flowering period is January to April and my flowers are of yellowish brown in colour. My fruits promotes sexual power and act as a blood purifier. My roots are used for improving digestion.


Makayiram tree: Cutch Tree
I am a member of the Mimosaceae and my scientific name is Acacia catacheu and seen in Dry Deciduous forest. People call me as ‘Dhanthdhavana’ because of my ability to cleanse the gum and teeth and I am very strong and stable that is why in Ayurveda I am known as \Khadira. My flowering period is March to September. My heart wood is used for flavoring boiled drinking water in homes and also used for Couch, skin diseases etc.


Karthika tree: Cluster Fig
I am a famous latex bearing member of Moraceae family. Therefore Ayurveda called me ‘Ksheeravriksha’. My scientific name is Ficus recemosa. My flowering period in October –December. My bark, fruit and leaf are having medicinal value. I have the capacity to purify the polluted environment and so people plant me on the southern side of their home. The medicines prepared with my parts are used for supressing diarrhea, Cough and blood purification. It also promotes the growth of fetus and increases breast milk.


Bharani tree: Indian Gooseberry
I am a deciduous tree usually seen in tropical deciduous forests. I belong to the family of Euphorbiaceae and my scientific name is Phyllantus emblica. My flowering period is February-May with small greenish yellow flowers. My fruit is one of the ingredients in the ‘Thriphala’ group of fruits in Ayurveda. My medicinal value is towards to my fruits, bark and leaves. My fruits are memory enhancer, cardio tonic, stamina booster, increases sexual potency and impart youthful vigor and strength. In Ayurveda the medicinal value is identified towards the treatment of vomiting, haemorrhage, fever and cough, breathing problems, Ulceration, etc.


Makam tree: Banyan Tree
I am one of the ingredients in the Panchavalkala – the medicinal mix of Ayurveda. I am growing in Dry Deciduous forest and having large number of prop roots from the branches. I belong to the family of Moraceae and my scientific name is Ficus bangalensis. My bark is one of the ingredients in Nalpamara. My bark, resin, leaf, root and fruit have high medicinal value and as act as excellent blood purifier and are used for the treatment of Eye diseases, skin diseases.


Pooyam tree: Sacred Fig
I am the son of Lord Vishnu and so in Purana I am known as Bodhidruma as my ability to enlighten the spiritual and mental faculties. The Lord Buddha was enlightened while sitting under me. I am a member of Moraceae and my scientific name is Ficus religiosa. I bloomed during May to June. My bark, leaf, flower, fruit etc have medicinal value. My bark is one of the items in Nalpamara. Mostly my parts are used for Diabetes, Cough related diseases and blood diseases.


Chitira tree: Bael Tree
Due to my incredible medicinal value, in Ayurveda called me as Vilva. In Purana my trifoliate leaf is believed that the three eyes (Thrikkannu) of The Lord Siva. So my leaves are for the worship of Lord Siva. So people growing me in the premises of Temples and houses. I belong to Dry Deciduous forest and my family is Rutaceae and my scientific name is Aegle marmelos. My flowering period is March to May and my flowers are greenish white in colour. My tender fruits are used for the treatment of fever, vomiting, stomach related and heart related diseases and my leaves are used for Prameha (Diabetes).


Uthradam tree: Jack Tree
I am a big and common tree in the Evergreen forest. My fruit is edible and my timber is used for building and furniture purposes. My family is Moraceae and scientific name is Artocarpus heterophyllus. I flowered during November to April. My fruit and leaves are having medicinal value. Fruits enhancing Sexual power and seeds are having the capacity to prevent heart diseases and the leaves have the capacity to reduce pain.


Thiruvonam tree: Giant Calotrope
In Ayurveda I am commonly known as ‘Arkka’. This is because of my ability to produce blisters on the skin like sunburn. My flowers are used for Sivaradhana (Worship of Lord Siva). I am a shrub and commonly distributed in Dry Deciduous forests. My family is Asclepiadaceae and scientific name is Calotropis gigantean. All my parts like root, bark, resin, leaf, flower have medicinal value. My flowers are mixed with blue and white colour and are there throughout the year. My parts are used for the treatment of Cough, worm infection, Arthritis.

Even though I didn’t learn much, I was truly entertained by the explanations.
Also, another ‘leaf’ I used that day was this (sorry, mum):


As you can see, there’s no spoon or any other instrument you can use. Just hands. But it was really delicious and I've had some more since then. They serve the punni rice as an all-you-can-eat type of food, so they refill your 'plate' whenever they see you’re missing an ingredient. I suppose you have to finish everything at the same time but I don’t believe I got to that level of achievement. What’s great about it is that your hand smells of curries and masalas a long time after you’ve finished eating and it’s really plesant. We are, of course, referring strictly to the right hand, as, customarily, your left hand (the unclean one) isn’t supposed to touch the food and is usually hidden under the table.
Since then I’ve learned that you’re supposed to wash your banana leaf with some drinking water (which is always warm, ‘cause it’s been boiled) from the stainless steel glass.
Anyway, the place where I had this meal was just before entering the elephant training camp, when a heavy rain caught up with me and I couldn’t resist the smell of the others’ food. The place, you wonder? It’s this:


I shall say no more.

1 comment:

  1. I was curious about the photo you have for the Ficus religiosa (Sacred fig) entry. It's there for reference to the caption right? or did you post it because of the issue with the leaf in the picture?

    I'm having some issues with my Sacred Figs & this picture looks a lot like one of my plants in question. anyways. that's it. just curious if you know what's wrong with that plant. thanks for any info.

    ReplyDelete